Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Weaning

Things haven't been going well at all for me lately and I finally bit the bullet and saw our doctor yesterday. For the second time in my life, I've been put on medication to try and put me back on more of an even keel. Took the first dose before bed last night and I'm feeling a little bit woozy this morning... the initial shock to my system should settle in a day or so (hopefully).

Consequently, I need to wean Genevieve; it's kind of a relief, actually. For the past couple of months it has felt like she's just been having mummy feeds simply because it's there (she hasn't needed EBM at daycare since March and is perfectly happy going without when I'm not around). It'll be nice to have my boobs back. ;) Besides, 16 months is a pretty good innings as far as I'm concerned.

So far, I've been using 'don't ask, don't offer' or telling Genevieve that there's no more and offering her a cup of soy milk instead. Both methods are working pretty well and munchkin is now having her morning nap after a bit of a temper tanty. We're not going to dispense with the bedtime feed just yet; I'll get her used to getting through the day milk-free first.

1 comment:

Kristie said...

Sorry to hear you have not been feeling 100%. To be honest, I suspected a little, but did not want to put my foot in it...

I was lucky - Tara practically day weaned herself. I did not have to worry about that. Night feeds we still do, but am going to be looking at dropping them down. Weaning for sanity is not a bad thing.

Just a little something though - just because the docs tell you you have to wean because of medication, often they are just talking crap, and it is not a necessity. Very little affects breastfeeding.

But I completely understand the sanity thing - which is why I have considered the night weaning. I am looking at doing a morning feed, and a bedtime feed, and that would be it. Will see how that goes later...

much love.